Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Real Face

Yes, we all have different faces. We put each one on according to the situation or circumstance. But I must say, when I am riding my Yezdi Roadking, it’s the real face that’s on me. The face that’s relaxed, leaving behind the struggles of life, the face that loves the wind, the rain and everything that mother nature has provided us.

My obsession for this breed of bike started with my dad. I was a nine year old kid when he used to make me sit in front on his Roadking and take me to various places around the city. I used to wait every evening for that sound ‘dung dung drrrr’, an indication that my dad is coming home from office. This would mean that I would get to go for a ride on the bike in our locality. I used to love it. When no one was around, I used to touch the bike, sit on it and fantasize riding it.

One evening, when dad got home, I didn’t hear the sound of his bike!!! I run outside to search for the bike but it wasn’t there. A financial crunch had made him sell the bike. I cried that night. My dad silently whispered into my ears - Don’t worry son, it’s my duty to see that you are educated first, you will one day start earning and buy the bike of your dreams. These lines somehow stayed with me.

To my bad luck, the Ideal Jawa factory closed down in 1996. But, since it was reliable and easy to maintain bike, it somehow remained in the market well beyond the factory closure.

The day finally came when I got my job and started earning. Having saved up some money, I went to the infamous JC road in Bangalore to find my dream Roadking. After asking a couple of shops, I finally landed up in a small shop where the dealer had a Roadking. He made a few calls and after couple of minutes, I heard the familiar sound “dung dung drrr.” I came running out of the shop to see the bike but it was badly bruised. The engine was making weird noises, the gears were not shifting properly etc. 
The day I got this black beauty

This might sound crazy, but it looked like it was talking to me, asking me to take it home. I decided to go with my gut feeI and took it straight to a mechanic. It stayed with the mechie for a week undergoing essential repairs and was finally was ready to hit the streets in style.
At the mechanic getting an overhaul

This is to those who are not familiar with the Yezdi’s. The Roadking is an all-metal bike. Other than the indicators, there’s no plastic or fibreglass anywhere in the body. If today’s tin, plastic, fiberglass & coat hanger assembled bikes can be termed as “Definitely Male”, then the Yezdi Roadking is “Definitely The Beast”! It commands attention. Very reliable, low on maintenance and a super handler. When u sit on this bike and open up the throttle, your animal instincts take over and you are transformed.

Coming back to my story, I called dad and told him that I had brought a bike. I did not reveal anything about the bike but asked him to wait outside the house. I rode my RK and stopped right in front of him, got down and handed him the keys. He was in a state of shock and couldn’t believe his own eyes. He walked around the bike touching it like a little kid. He saw me in the eye and I could see him being nostalgic. I could see tears roll down his eyes that day and reminded me of those lines he had whispered into my ears years ago.
With my proud Dad

A few years later, I got introduced to a group called Bangalore Jawa Yezdi Motorcycle Club. I felt great to know there are likeminded people around. The brotherhood and the passion for these bikes is simply amazing in the club. I have been to many rides with the brotherhood and each ride is a story of its own. Everyone in this brotherhood are of different professions but, we ride together with one passion - Riding. Yes, we all have different faces and we put them on according to the situation and circumstance. But I must say, when I am riding my Roadking, it’s the real face that’s on me.
The Beast

Author: Krishna Narasipura
email: nskris@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Krish...awesome bro. Thanks for sharing your personal touch to the bike we all love. You have inspired me to write up the times spent with my bike and share it with the family called BJYMC. YEZDI ROCKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome...bhai this was a nice one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you did not say anything about your longest bike trip of your life

    ReplyDelete